President Melody Rose was interviewed by the Lake Oswego Review about Marylhurst University's successes and opportunities for growth in January 2015.
Since its inaugural exhibition in 1980, The Art Gym has been a powerful force in the growing Portland and Pacific Northwest art arena. Its mission is to increase public understanding of contemporary art through thoughtfully organized exhibitions, publications and public discussions. Its vision of quality programming is excellent art, beautifully presented. It was honored with a Governor's Arts Award in 2005. The Art Gym has shown the work of more than 500 artists, produced more than 60 exhibition catalogs, and sponsored numerous artist roundtables and public forums.
Need for renovations and upgrades to The Art Gym
First opened in 1980, The Art Gym is showing its age after more than 30 years and needs renovation and upgrades.
- The structure of the perimeter walls is mere sheetrock over lath over brick. These walls need proper framing to support the sheetrock, which also will provide room within the walls for the electrical upgrade. Walls have been spackled and repaired over the years, giving the gallery a tattered look.
- Gallery lighting is not optimal and doesn't display works to their greatest advantage.
- The wood floor needs refinishing.
- Window coverings are nonexistent and windows are not energy efficient.
- There is inadequate heating in the winter and no air conditioning in the summer, thereby limiting the times of year in which there can be exhibitions.
- A new fire alarm and smoke detection system is necessary.
You can help support The Art Gym!
Please make a gift today.