Jay Ponteri, English faculty, will be a guest author on Sugar Radio, hosted by Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond on February 14, 2016.
Dr. Melanie Booth, dean of assessment, received a 2012 Outstanding Author Contribution Award for her contribution to Higher Education Administration with Social Media from Emerald Group Publishing.
Dr. Booth co-authored a chapter on using social media in student advising and support. Titled Mentoring 2.0: High Tech/High Touch Approaches to Foster Student Support and Development in Higher Education, the work was a collaboration with Arthur Esposito of Montclair State University.
Booth and Esposito say: "When we think about how these [technological] shifts apply to our experiences advising and mentoring our students in higher education, we do not think it is a stretch to say that when these technologies are employed thoughtfully, these eruptions likely do occur in particular ways that can, in fact, facilitate student support, development and learning in new ways."
About the Award
Recipients of Emerald Publishing's Outstanding Author Contribution Award are selected based on the following criteria:
- Contribution of something new to the body of knowledge either in terms of approach or subject matter
- Excellent structure and presentation and well written text
- Rigor in terms of argument or analysis
- Relevance – to practice and further research, in most cases
- Up to date – demonstrating that the latest/key works in the field have been cited
- A work which is clearly within the editorial scope and remit of the book series