Tamara "TJ" DiCaprio, MBA in sustainable business, received the 2014 C.K. Prahalad Award for global sustainability leadership in June 2014.
MUSAC 2014-15 self-nomination process now open
through September 20.
The Sustainability Advisory Council (MUSAC) is an advisory council to the President and the Administrative Cabinet on matters of sustainability to the university. The 12-member council includes students, staff, faculty, alumni, and community members.
Marylhurst works regularly to:
- Reduce energy use
1. Electric power monitoring and conservation practices –
heat/cool buildings only when occupied, timers and motion sensors to turn off equipment and lights when not needed, reduced excessive light levels, installed energy efficient florescent and LED lighting
2. Building envelope energy efficiency –
insulation, weather stripping, double pane insulated glass window upgrades
- Make sparing use of resources and products, and abundant use of recycling opportunities
1. Recycling metal, paper, plastic, food waste, building materials
2. Landscape management sustainable practices –
reduced chemical use, organic fertilizer, minimal mowing, soil enhancement practices
- Adopt and follow low-impact building, remodeling and transportation practices
1. Water-use monitoring and conservation practices –
low-flow toilets and flush meters, restricted irrigation and low-flow sprinklers
2. Storm water monitoring and filtering discharge to river
- Make environmentally responsible purchases
Responsibility for Our Campus Habitat
We hold a strong sense of stewardship for our beautiful campus and its plants and animals. We are a National Wildlife Federation Certified Wildlife Habitat and take seriously the campus' health and well-being as a sanctuary for wild nature and for our human souls.
- Recommendation to Ban Sale of Bottled Water on Marylhurst Campus
Ban the Bottle website
- Recommendation to Sign Talloires Declaration
About Talloires Declaration
- Recommendation to Divest from Investment in Fossil Fuels
About Sustainable Investment
August 12, 2014, at 12 noon. Visitors welcome.
Nomination process runs from July 20 through September 20.
Every year interested persons may self-nominate for open positions. Open to staff, faculty, students and alumni of Marylhurst University and interested members of the community. Membership on the council is approved by the President's Leadership Team. Download>> Self-Nomination Forms (word doc)