Jenny M. Chu, English alum, is launching a literary t-shirt press called BACKWORDS Press on April 29, 2015.
2014 Writing Contest for Community College Students
Marylhurst University is hosting a writing contest open to students enrolled at a community college in the United States.
Poetry—No more than 3 poems
Short Fiction—Double-spaced, 2,000 words max limit
Nonfiction (memoir, literary criticism, essay, travelogue, journal entry)—Double-spaced, 2,000 words max limit
Digital Writing (blog post, e-mail, text message, Twitter Essay, Facebook update, conversation on Tumblr, comment to blog posts, response to news articles, book review shared on Goodreads, code poem, wiki novel, netprov)—2,000 words max limit.
The First Place Winner in each category will receive:
- $50 Powells.com gift card
- Full tuition waiver for one three-credit course in the English department at Marylhurst University in winter or spring terms 2015
- Publication of the creative piece on the digital publication M Review
The Second & Third Place Winners in each category will receive
$50 Powells.com gift card
publication of the creative piece on the M Review.
- Multiple submissions to multiple categories are NOT accepted—only one submission per person;
- Email submissions to: email@example.com ;
- Subject line should read "Community College Writing Contest" + category of your submission;
- In the body of the email, include your full name, a physical mailing address, the name of your piece, and the category in which you're entering;
- For poetry, fiction, & nonfiction categories, attach a word document file (ONLY Microsoft Word files accepted) of your submission;
- For digital writing category, please include a Web site link or a screen shot in the body of the e-mail;
- Incomplete submissions cannot be considered.
Contest Deadline: September 1, 2014
Winners will be contacted by email.
Questions? Email Jay Ponteri, director of creative writing, at firstname.lastname@example.org.