Dr. Petra Kern, music therapy faculty, contributed a chapter to Frontiers in Autism Research, published in July 2014.
The Jazz Ensemble is our auditioned jazz ensemble. Intended primarily for music majors, we also accept qualified non-majors. The group provides training for jazz instrumentalists in a combo setting. We work to develop the skills necessary to thrive in a professional jazz combo.
Improvisation, group arranging, and composition are all explored through regular rehearsals and performances. All periods of jazz are explored, from early jazz, through be-bop, to the present day. Students are encouraged to bring their own compositions and arrangements for the ensemble to perform.
The ensemble regularly performs at Marylhurst and in the local community. See events calendar for coming performances.
- Rehearsals: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 11:30 am-12:45 pm, Music Annex, O'Hara Hall
- Course numbers: ENS 005, ENS 235, ENS 435
- Large ensemble credit for music majors
- Meets Marylhurst Core outcome: CA (Creating the Arts)
- Meets LAC outcome: AIB2 (2012-2013 catalog or earlier)
- Auditions held by appointment; contact Thomas Sandahl, director, Marylhurst Jazz Ensemble