Music composition student Ian Guthrie won first place in the Oregon Music Teacher Association's Young Artist Piano Competition in November 2013.
From film to symphonies to video games, our world is filled with music. Compose for it.
The Bachelor of Music in Composition is the initial professional degree in music composition — providing you with the musical training you need to prepare for a career as a composer.
In addition to demonstrating professional, entry-level competence in composition, as a graduate of our composition program, you will acquire an advanced level of musicianship skills, obtain broad knowledge of musical language and literature, and develop teaching skills related to musical composition and theory.
The Bachelor of Music in Composition degree requirements are designed to give you:
- Comprehensive musicianship — Demonstrate the Marylhurst Music Core learning outcomes
- Composition techniques — Use a variety of composition techniques to create a unique body of music informed by contemporary concepts, materials and forms, that is idiomatically written for various instrumental, vocal and technologically mediated forces
- Performance — Perform in ensembles and on your primary instrument or voice
- Teaching skills — Demonstrate competence in teaching basic musicianship skills
- Pedagogy methods — Demonstrate competence in counterpoint, analysis and pedagogy
- Integration of technology — Work with various technological media
Although there are few full-time positions for composers, many create careers by working independently, composing, performing and teaching. Our program prepares you for work in film, television and game industries or to pursue graduate-level studies.