The 2015-16 Marylhurst Reading Series gets underway Thursday, Oct. 8 with award-winning author Charles D'Ambrosio reading from his recent book, Loitering: New and Collected Essays.
Director of Writing
Department of English
Ph.D. in English Literature, University of Oregon
MA in English Literature, University of Oregon
BA English Literature & Secondary Education, University of Oregon, summa cum laude
African American Autobiography
Elements in Creative Nonfiction: Writing and Walking the City
Elements in Creative Nonfiction: Memory and the Fragment
Entering Student Seminar: Drama and Social Justice
The Graphic Novel
Introduction to Expository Writing
Introduction to Literary Genre
Literature of Resistance: Bearing Witness
Modernist Literature and Culture
Major Authors: Virginia Woolf and Zora Neale Hurston
Personal Narrative and the Short Documentary
Writing Seminar I: Creative Nonfiction
Writing Seminar II: Creative Nonfiction
Shakespeare in Performance
Women's Literature and Feminist Theory
Writing/Reading in Practice
Perrin Kerns' areas of expertise include modernism, feminist theory, women writers, poetics, creative nonfiction and her latest passion, digital storytelling. Prior to joining Marylhurst, she was assistant dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Pacific University, where she started as an instructor. Before that, she was the assistant director of composition at University of Oregon. Her professional associations include the Modern Language Association, Associated Writing Programs, and Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association. Kerns is also a filmmaker, and she has received national recognition for her documentary Between Sasquatch and Superman: Living with Down Syndrome.
Between Sasquatch and Superman: Living with Down Syndrome
- NW Premiere: NW DocFest, Mission Theater, Portland, Oregon, December 2010
- California Premiere: Official Selection San Francisco International Shorts Festival, Roxie Theater, San Francisco, California, September 2011 Award: Festival Director's Choice Award, San Francisco International Shorts Festival, September 2011
- Fastnet Film Festival, Ireland, April-May 2012: shortlisted for best documentary
- Sprout Film Festival, Metropolitan Art Museum, New York City, April 2012
- Sprout Film Festival, Kennedy School, Portland, Oregon, May 2012
- Genesee Arc, March 2013, Batavia, NY,
- Full Access Festival, March 2013, Eugene, OR
- The Arc of Medina County, March 2013.
- Spurwink Services , April 2013, Portland, ME.
- Oregon Public Broadcasting: Oregon Lens: Oregon Independent Filmmakers Showcase, August 2013
Looking for Mom in Our Father's Closet
- NW Premiere: NW DocFest, Mission Theater, Portland, Oregon, Dec. 2011
- California Premiere: Official Selection San Francisco International Shorts Festival, Oct, 2013
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, Oregon Lens: Oregon Independent Filmmakers showcase, August 2013
On Being Round: Five Fragments on Fat
- NW Premiere: NW DocFest, Mission Theater, Portland, Oregon, Dec. 2013
- Women In Film Portland –Film Center Portland Art Museum, May 2014
- Festival Director's Choice Award, San Francisco International Shorts Festival, September 2011
- Shortlisted for Best Documentary, Fastnet Festival, Ireland, 2011
- Excellence and Innovation Grant, Marylhurst University (2011)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Marylhurst University (2010)
- Dissertation Defense passed with Distinction (1998)
- Alternate for American Association of University Women Dissertation Fellowship (1994)
- Center for the Study of Women and Society Research Grant (1993-94)
- Awards for Excellence in the Teaching of Composition, University of Oregon (spring 1989 and spring 1990)
- Phi Beta Kappa
Recent Academic Conferences
- Digital Storytelling: Visual River like a Dream, Summer Fishtrap Writer's workshop. Joseph, Oregon. June 2014.
- Digital storytelling: Personal Narrative and the Tiny Film, Compose Conference, Clackamas Community College, May 31, 2014.
- Getting Respect: Comics go to College, Panel Discussion, Wizard World Portland Comic Con, January 2014.
- Two digital stories, Black Holes and The Body Count, screened, Fifth Annual Digital Storytelling Conference, Ankara, Turkey, May 2013.
- Documentary Film and the Personal Narrative, Session Chair, Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association Conference, Seattle, WA, 2012.
- Text:Image Visual Studies in the English Department, Modern Language Association Conference, Seattle, WA, 2011.
- Virginia Woolf, Panel Chair, Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association, San Francisco, CA, 2009.
- Bearing Graphic Witness: The Graphic Novel as Testimony and the Crisis of Representation in Art Spiegelman's In the Shadow of No Towers. Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association, San Francisco, CA, 2009.
- Gay and Lesbian Literature, Panel Chair, Pacific Ancient and Modern Language Association, Pomona, CA, 2008.