Now accepting students for this unique online program
Literature scholars, writers, bibliophiles, media geeks....welcome.
Our Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in English Literature & New Media program is a unique degree that emphasizes the intersection of literary studies and digital media. You'll study literature and writing, while also considering how those disciplines are influenced and changed by evolving technologies.
Benefits of pursing your English degree from Marylhurst
In this online program you'll study with a consistent group of classmates building working relationships and networks. All courses in the online program are taught by the same, highly qualified faculty who teach our campus programs.
- Marylhurst University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
- You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students.
- Four start times a year (fall, winter, spring or summer).
An English program that is both traditional and practical
Students within the program have the opportunity to do the following:
- Expand your textual and digital literacy
- Study literature and creative writing in the context of new media
- Enhance your new media production skills by creating digital projects in courses that focus on digital storytelling, maps and literature, hypertext and graphic novels
- Learn from within your community and out in the natural world
- Hone your critical thinking and writing skills
Most of the program is online
The English literature and new media degree offers the flexibility of online coursework, while emphasizing active learning, service, networking, collaboration and community-building.
Two short trips to campus
Students are invited to campus (in Portland, Oregon) for two short visits (three days each) as part of the degree: a required orientation at the start of the program and a summer seminar between their junior and senior year. Most travel expenses are included in the standard tuition. Students also have the option to take classes on campus during any term.
Career opportunities with an English degree
The program will help prepare you for graduate school or careers in freelance writing, professional blogging, publishing, editing, social media marketing, archiving and teaching.
Degree requirements breakdown
To graduate with a bachelor's degree, you must complete a total of 180 credits:
|Marylhurst Core requirements||45|
Transfer credit is accepted
More than 90 percent of Marylhurst students are transfer students.
Learn if you have prior college credit that can transfer into the BA in English Literature & New Media program with a free transfer evaluation.
If you'd like to receive an information packet in the mail, please complete our request information form. Or call us at 503.699.6268.