English professor Keri Behre will talk about food from Shakespeare's time at the Lake Oswego Public Library on April 23, 2016.
2016 Writing Contest for Community College Students
Marylhurst University is hosting a writing contest open to students enrolled at Portland Community College, Clackamas Community College, Clark College, Mt. Hood Community College, Central Oregon Community College, Chemeketa, Linn Benton Community College, and Lane Community College.
Poetry—No more than 3 poems
Short Fiction—Double-spaced, 2,000 words max limit
Nonfiction (memoir, literary criticism, essay, travelogue, journal entry)—Double-spaced, 2,000 words max limit
Digital Writing (blog post, e-mail, text message, Twitter Essay, Facebook update, conversation on Tumblr, comment to blog posts, response to news articles, book review shared on Goodreads, code poem, wiki novel, netprov, digtal story)—2,000 words max limit.
The First Place Winner in each category will receive:
- $75 Powells.com gift card
- Full tuition waiver for one four-credit course in the English department at Marylhurst University in winter or spring terms 2017
- Inclusion in public reading at Marylhurst in spring 2016
The Second & Third Place Winners in each category will receive a
$25 Powells.com gift card.
- Multiple submissions to multiple categories are NOT accepted—only one submission per person;
- Email submissions to: email@example.com ;
- Subject line should read "Community College Writing Contest" + category of your submission;
- In the body of the email, include your full name, a physical mailing address, the name of your piece, and the category in which you're entering;
- For poetry, fiction & nonfiction categories, attach a word document file (ONLY Microsoft Word files accepted) of your submission;
- For digital writing category, please include a website link or a screen shot in the body of the e-mail;
- Incomplete submissions cannot be considered.
Contest Deadline: May 15, 2016
Winners will be contacted by email.
Questions? Email Jay Ponteri, director of creative writing, at firstname.lastname@example.org.