Dr. Jan Carpenter, education department chair, presented at the Association for Middle Level Education Conference in November 2012.
Applicants for admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching program must provide:
- MAT program application for admission and non-refundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Personal letter of introduction
- Two letters of recommendation
- Writing sample
- NES EAS scores meeting state-required levels*
- Fingerprint verification
- Resume with a clearly stated career objective
- Admissions interview
- Proof of measles immunization
*see passing scores below
After all material has been submitted, final candidates will be invited for a personal interview. The interview will be conducted by members of the graduate faculty and professional educators. The interview is designed to explore your ideas about the program and learn more about your goals.
Initial review of applicant files begins March 1. Only complete applications will be considered for full admission status.
Applications received after this date are welcomed and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
New MAT students begin fall term.
Passing scores from the NES EAS must be sent directly from the testing agency to the Office of Admissions. Scores must be submitted prior to program acceptance. Passing scores are:
• National Evaluation Series-Essential Academic Skills (NES EAS) - 220 per subtest; examinees must pass subtests I, II, and III to pass the test