FAQ: IT and Tech Help at Marylhurst
Frequently asked questions of tech support — and the answers — are here. If you don’t see the answer to your question, contact us! We’re here to help.
Monday – Thursday: 9 am to 7 pm
Friday: 9 am to 6 pm
Closed on major holidays (Canvas online course support is 365 days a year)
FAQ: Email & Google Apps
Frequently asked questions about Marylhurst email and Google Apps:
- How do I forward my mail to another email account automatically?
- How do I add someone from a received email to my contacts list?
- How do I share documents?
- What about privacy? What are the Terms of Service?
- How long can I keep my Google Apps for Education account?
- How do I learn more?
- What if I don’t like my new email address?
- What if I don’t want to use Marylhurst Gmail?
How do I forward my mail to another email account automatically?
- Sign in to your marylhurst.edu account
- Click Settings at the top of any Gmail page, and open the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the section labeled Forwarding, select “Forward a copy of incoming mail to”
- Enter the email address to which you’d like your messages forwarded.
- Select the action you’d like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. We recommend keeping a copy in the Inbox.
- Click Save Changes.
How do I add someone from a received email to my contacts list?
- From the menu along the top, click on “Contacts”
- Along the left hand side click on the section called “Suggested Contacts”
- In the middle section, a list appears before you of email addresses that you have sent and received from
- Check the box next to the contact(s) that you would like to add
- On the left hand side click on the “Move to Contacts” button
How do I share documents?
All Google docs will default to private status, only available you. You can specify certain people to share with, or share with a larger group. For further instructions, click here.
What about privacy? What are the Terms of Service?
Privacy is always a concern. Click here for an important statement about privacy and our Google Terms of Service. Note that we have a contract with Google that adheres to state and federal laws regarding student privacy and also ensures data is not collected or shared. Google also uses external auditors to ensure compliance.
How long can I keep my Google Apps for Education account?
At this time, students may keep their Google Apps (including their @marylhurst email address) for as long as they want, we have no plans to end the service. This is dependent on Google’s terms of service, so things could change. If that happens we will provide adequate notice. Note that google has a very easy way to migrate or download account data.
How do I learn more?
We maintain a Google Apps Learning Center with lots of resources, conveniently organized into categories.
What if I don’t like my new email address or want a different one?
Names will be assigned algorithmically, not chosen. If you are assigned a name that is offensive (algorithms can be dumb) please contact the Help Desk right away.
I don’t want to use Gmail — I want to keep using my email address.
You are welcome to forward your Marylhurst Gmail account to your email address of choice, since that’s how people here will find you. Here’s how. And, Marylhurst considers your @marylhurst email address to be the official and primary email of record. Important correspondence will be sent to this address.
FAQ: My Marylhurst
Frequently asked questions about My Marylhurst:
- What browser can I use?
- What is my username and password?
- What is my student ID?
- How do I reset my password?
- How do I change my password?
What browser can I use?
Windows: Internet Explorer 7 & 8, Firefox 3.6 or later
Macintosh: Firefox 3.6 or later, Safari 2.0 or later
What is my username and password?
Your initial username is your student ID and your password is a randomly generated. To get your password, click on the “Don’t know my password” link to the right of the login button and one will be sent to the email address that we have on file for you.
What is my student ID?
You can look up your student ID here.
How do I reset my password?
Click on the “Don’t know my password” link to the right of the login button and a randomly generated password will be sent to the email address that we have on file for you. Please be aware that the password is CaSe SeNsItIvE. Sometimes the email ends up getting filtered out as spam, so check your spam filter.
How do I change my password?
Once you login into to My Marylhurst, click on the “Personal Info” link along the welcome bar, select the “Password” tab and enter in the appropriate information.
Check the status of any system here:
Check any website/service here
Is it down right now?
Having trouble accessing a system? Please email email@example.com or call the ITS Help Desk team at 503.699.6318.