Business and Leadership Curriculum – B.S. Program at Marylhurst
As a Marylhurst student, you will take courses in the business and leadership curriculum that focus on management processes, organizational functions, human resources, strategy and planning, information technology, marketing and finance In addition, this business and leadership curriculum dives into effective leadership practices to prepare you to manage organizations in today’s dynamic environment.
The B.S. in Business and Leadership program admits students each term (fall, winter, spring and summer) and is now accepting inquiries and applicants for 2017.
Business and Leadership Curriculum & B.S. Degree Requirements
To earn your bachelor’s in Business & Leadership from Marylhurst, you will complete 180-quarter credits (through a combination of courses and by transferring in credits). The degree requirements feature three main areas:
Major requirements (60 credits)
- Core – you will take courses that provide a foundation in business and leadership principles. Sample course titles include:
- Business Economics
- Information Technology Strategies
- Principles of Marketing
- Leading in Dynamic Environments
- Personal Ethics in Organizations
- Major electives – select coursework in a variety of business and communication subjects. Sample course titles include:
- Small Business Accounting and Finance
- Organizational Sustainability
- Conflict Management
- Leadership Communication
- Organizational Psychology
- Career Management
- Capstone Paper
You will take one course in applied leadership principles and within the course, write a comprehensive capstone paper highlighting your business and leadership study as a final element of your degree program.
Marylhurst Core (40 credits)
Fundamental coursework focused on the applied liberal arts such as communication skills, critical thinking, writing, problem-solving and leadership.
General electives (80 credits)
Choose courses outside of business from Marylhurst’s diverse undergraduate programs to better define your career focus. Most Marylhurst incoming students transfer in credit from their previous college work or through our Prior Learning Assessment program.
Business & Leadership Program Outcomes
As a Business & Leadership graduate from Marylhurst, you will:
- Lead using sustainable leadership principles for holistically integrating management processes, organizational functions and environmental influences.
- Manage using effective management processes for planning, organizing, leading and controlling.
- Manage and lead in organizational functional areas such as finance, marketing, human resources, strategy and planning, information technology and other selected areas of concentration.
- Integrate environmental influences into organizational decision-making processes, including the competitive landscape, globalization, stakeholder interests, culture, technology and other relevant factors.
- Develop personal ethical principles within an organizational context for addressing ethical dilemmas arising from conflicting values.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills for interacting collaboratively in global environments.
- Demonstrate a broad-based liberal arts perspective that is applicable for business-related analysis and decision making.
- Create dynamic educational and personal plans.
Transfer in Your Previous College Credit
Most of Marylhurst’s incoming students transfer in college credit from either community colleges or another four-year institution. The average credits transferred is about 45-to-50 credits and many students enter the university with the majority of their MU Core or General Electives requirements completed.
The average time to complete the B.S. in Business & Leadership program is three years. Marylhurst is a degree completion institution meaning most of our students enter our university with some previous college credit, reducing the investment of time and financial resources necessary to earn their degree.
Let’s get started.