Earn your Art Therapy Certificate at Marylhurst
The Art Therapy Certificate is designed for applicants with a master’s or doctoral degree in a related field such as counseling, psychology or social work who are not seeking a second master’s degree, but are seeking professional preparation in the art therapy field.
Art Therapy Certificate students have completed coursework and demonstrated competency in the areas of theories, social and cultural foundations of counseling, diagnostic appraisal and testing, career counseling, research and ethics. These knowledge areas complement new learning within the certificate program.
Curriculum in the Art Therapy Certificate (Post Graduate Program)
Art Therapy Certificate students earn 62 credits in core art therapy curriculum and an art therapy faculty member assists the student in developing a program plan. In some cases, previously earned credits may be transferred and applied towards the certificate, thereby reducing the number of required classes.
Core Art Therapy Certificate Requirements: 62 credits
- Introduction to Art Therapy
- The Helping Relationship: Counseling / Art Therapy Technique
- Child Development, Psychopathology and Art Therapy / Counseling
- Group Dynamics, Processes, Counseling and Art Therapy
- Clinical Practice: Counseling Skills in Art Therapy Practice
- Adolescent and Young Adult Development, Psychopathology and Art Therapy Counseling
- Cross-Cultural Counseling and Art Therapy
- Clinical Assessment by Graphic Means
- Professional and Clinical Practices in Art Therapy / Counseling
- Adult Development, Psychopathology and Art Therapy / Counseling
- Professional Orientation and Ethics
- Practicum / Seminar, 720 hours
Ready to Start?
For the Art Therapy Certificate program, classes start fall term, but you can apply anytime. Admission requirements for certificates are similar to our degree admissions requirements. If you have any questions about this certificate, connect with our Office of Admissions by requesting more information or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Regionally accredited university (NWCCU accredited)
- Small classes with individual focus from our renowned faculty
- Engaging courses with team-orientated projects and networking opportunities
- Flexible options with diverse program focus areas
- Many courses offered online, in the evenings or on the weekends
- Transfer credit options and prior-learning assessment (earn credit for career/life experience)