Guide for Scholarship Recipients
Marylhurst University scholarships are funded by gifts from university friends and alumni. We acknowledge their generosity by creating a book for them that includes a photo and thank-you letter from their scholarship recipient(s).
We ask all students who receive Marylhurst scholarships to submit a thank-you letter and current photograph. We consider this a very important final step in the scholarship application process, so we won’t release scholarship funds to your account until we have your thank-you letter and photo in hand.
Thank you for helping us express our gratitude to those who make our scholarship program possible!
Scholarship Thank You Letter
Here are more specifics about what we need from you for your thank-you letter:
- Please write one letter for each scholarship you receive.
- Please submit your letter(s) on plain white 8.5″ x 11″ paper. We won’t accept hand-written letters.
- Keep your letter(s) to one page.
- Address the donor(s) of your scholarship(s) in your salutation (See the Messages tab in FinAidOnline to learn who to address your letter(s) to).
- In your letter, identify yourself, your education plans, and your hopes and ambitions for the future.
- Please ensure your letter is grammatically correct, as well as professional in tone and content. If you need guidance, Diana Hacker’s book, A Writer’s Reference, is a great resource. It’s available at the virtual bookstore, Shoen Library and the Writing Center.
- Sign your letter(s) before submitting to the Office of Financial Aid.
If you need help writing your letter, please contact the Marylhurst Writing Center.
Thank-You Letter Examples
To the Trustee of the XXXXXXXXX Scholarship Fund,
Thank you very much for the XXXXXXXXXX scholarship that I have been awarded. I am honored to have been selected. It seemed almost like a gift from above, and I want you to know how thankful I am that there are wonderful people willing to help me.
After high school, I attended a community college and graduated with an associate degree, then started working. I have always wanted to return to school, but didn’t have the motivation until I met a Marylhurst alum who suggested that I consider completing my degree at Marylhurst. After visiting the campus and learning a little bit about the university, my mind was made up. I plan to work toward a Bachelor of Arts in English, then a Master’s in Teaching. Eventually, I’d like to teach at the high school level. I had a great teacher in high school who will serve as my role model. She was successful in helping all of the students learn.
Thank you so much for helping to make this plan possible for me.
Dear Mr. and Mrs. XXXXXXXXX,
I want to sincerely thank you for the XXXXXXXXXXXXX scholarship. I greatly appreciate your generosity in helping me reach my educational goals.
I am currently working on my Bachelor of Fine Arts degree at Marylhurst University. I will be entering my second year in the interior design program this fall and am very excited to be coming back. I learned and grew so much my first year in this program. I have developed a true passion for design and look forward to the opportunity to apply my knowledge in a career in the design field when I graduate.
Along with being a full-time student, I am a mother to a darling three-year-old little girl. I know receiving my education will enable me to provide her with the tools she will need to pursue her education, passions and dreams in life one day, just as I have been able to do.
I thank you again for your generosity and support in my pursuit of an education.
Submitting a Photograph
- Please submit a current photo to the Office of Financial Aid. If you don’t have a current photo, a financial aid staff member can take your picture when you drop by the office.
- You can email your photo to the Office of Financial Aid – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photos must be no smaller than 3″ x 5″.
- Photos must be clear and in focus in order to be scanned.
“I could not focus on school, instead of a job, without scholarship support. It’s been critical to my ability to get my degree. Marylhurst has offered me an amazing business degree, and has also exposed me to liberal arts training. I like that my business professors talk to me about the responsibilities of having a voice and living my values in the workplace and beyond.” ~ Ryndell Vigeant
Scholarships are a great resource for helping you finance your education. Even before you submit specific applications for scholarships, make sure to apply for financial aid. When we receive your financial aid application, we’ll consider you for various Marylhurst scholarships – even beyond what’s listed here. And apply early because some funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.