Mental Health Counseling Admissions Requirements
Admission requirements for the MA in Mental Health Counseling program include having a bachelor’s degree as well as program specific requirements in psychology completed prior to entering the program. If at any point you have questions, please reach out us. We’re happy to help: firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.699.6268.
The M.A. in Mental Health Counseling program accepts new applicants each year to start in the upcoming fall term. Its recommended to submit your completed application by March 1. Applications submitted after March 1 will be accepted and considered on a case-by-case basis.
M.A. in Mental Health Counseling: Admissions Requirements
All applicants to Marylhurst master’s degree programs are required to hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. In addition, the M.A. in Mental Health Counseling program requires that you also have:
- 18 quarter credits in psychology, including 6 credits of general psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Human Development and Theories of Personality or Research Methods
- 300 (minimum) hours of human services experience. The application asks about your experience where you either worked as a paid employee or volunteer within a human services environment. Examples of human service experience include work with agencies serving clients with mental illness, day treatment programs, alternative schools or residential treatment programs.
- Miller Analogies Test or GRE scores only if you maintain a G.P.A. below 3.0.
Marylhurst uses a quarter credit system. If courses are taken in a semester system, credits are calculated as: 1-semester credit = 1.5 quarter credits
Donna Davis – Associate Director of Admissions and Admissions Counselor
“Applying to the Marylhurst Mental Health Counseling program is a big decision and a major step toward your counseling career. Marylhurst’s program is exceptional, and the requirements and process can seem intense. As an admissions counselor, I am here to help you navigate the admissions process – especially the requirements for admissions. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or need assistance.”
Here are the items you will need to submit to formally apply for the M.A. in Mental Health Counseling program. Please review the list carefully and remember that we’re here to help you. Please contact us at any time with your questions.
- Complete the online application
Don’t worry about finishing the application in one session. You can save your work, log out and return to the application at a later time. Your information will be saved.
- Within the online application, you will also be directed to submit:
- Resume including experience working with people (minimum 300 hours volunteered or paid)
- Official transcript from regionally accredited institution where you earned a degree (additional transcripts may be requested as proof of program pre-requisites)
- Recommendations (2)
- Statement of Intent
- Miller Analogies Test or GRE scores are required only if you maintain a GPA below 3.0
- Interview with department faculty
- Background check (upon acceptance into the program)
Online Application Portal and Uploading Requirements
The online application for admission is located at marylhurst.edu. Click “Apply to MU” and create your application portal account. Once you are logged into the portal, you can complete the application, pay your application fee, and upload most of your application requirements. If you have already created an account and don’t remember your login information, click on the “forgot my password” link.
General Application Instructions
Please put your name in the top right hand corner of all pages submitted. All written materials should be typed in 12-point font and double-spaced.
Official transcripts must be received by Marylhurst University in the original unopened envelope or through approved electronic means from the originating institution. Sounds very legal, but it’s pretty straightforward: contact your previous institutions and request an official transcript to be sent directly to Marylhurst: 17600 Pacific HWY, PO Box 261, Marylhurst, OR 97036-0261. Official transcripts can also be sent via a secure delivery service such as National Student Clearinghouse, eSCRIP-SAFE, or Parchment. Directions on how to do this will also be available within the online admissions application.
We really simplified this process. All you will need are the names and contact information (email) for your recommenders. In the online application, you will be prompted to input their information. This sends your recommenders an email with directions on how to submit their recommendations electronically. Easy, right?
Submit two confidential recommendations from individuals acquainted with your potential for success in graduate studies. Include at least one recommendation from a supervisor from your human services experience is preferred. Recommendations from family members or personal acquaintances are not appropriate and will not be considered.
Upload a copy of your most recent resume that includes experience where you either worked as a paid employee or volunteer within a human services environment. Examples of human service experience include work with agencies serving clients with mental illness, day treatment programs, alternative schools or residential treatment programs. Resumes with a minimum of 300 hours human service experience will be considered. The online application includes a section where you will also list your human service hours.
Statement of Intent
This is a six-page paper in which you briefly describe:
- Your view on what the practice of mental health counseling is all about.
- Notable aspects of your work-related experiences and career development.
- Why you have chosen to pursue mental health counseling and discuss previous involvement with human services professions. How these professions have influenced your goals. You may include relevant personal information and life experiences.
- Your professional objectives for seeking admissions, including goals for using your education shortly after graduation and in the following five and ten years. Describe how you would pursue these goals.
- Your present personality strengths and weaknesses that would have impact upon your functioning as a graduate student and as a mental health counseling practitioner.
- Your reason for selecting Marylhurst University’s mental health counseling program.
Miller Analogies Test (MAT)/GRE
If you maintain a GPA below a 3.0, you have the option to take either the MAT and earn a minimum score of 398 or the GRE scoring above the 50% percentile. Please request your scores be sent directly to the Office of Admissions at Marylhurst University. Plan to take the test early, as it can take a few weeks for the results to reach us. For general information and test locations, visit MillerAnalogies.com for information on the MAT or ets.org/gre for information on the GRE. Test scores should be no older than 5 years to be considered with your application.
A background check is required for practicum and internship placements. Once admitted, you will be sent instructions on how to complete this step.
Are you applying as an international student? Please review these additional requirements for graduate international student applicants.
Let’s get started.