Pastoral Care or Theological Studies: How to Apply to Marylhurst
Welcome! We’re glad you’ve made the choice to go forward and apply to one of our religious studies certificates: Pastoral Care or Theological Studies. Please review the admissions requirements carefully. If you have any questions, we’re happy to help: email@example.com or 503.699.6268.
For the theological studies certificate, applications are accepted on a rolling basis so you can start each term (fall, winter, spring or summer). We advise that you submit your application at least four weeks prior to the start of classes. For the pastoral care certificate, applications are accepted year-round, and classes begin each fall term.
Pastoral Care or Theological Studies: Admissions Requirements
Because you are applying to a graduate program at Marylhurst, we require that you hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. If you maintain a G.P.A. below 3.0, you will also need to take and submit your Millers Analogies Test scores.
Maruska Lynch – Graduate Admissions Counselor
“Graduate certificates are a great way to earn professional development and expand your knowledge in a specific area. Marylhurst’s certificates in Pastoral Care and Theological Studies offer you the skills to serve people of all faiths and backgrounds. I’m here to help you navigate the admissions and application process. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have questions.”
Certificate Application Process
Here are the items you will need to submit to formally apply for the graduate certificate in Pastoral Care or in Theological Studies program. As you review the list, know that we’re here to help you if you have any questions about the required materials for admissions. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
- Complete the online application (select “certificate” for academic division, and in program of study either Pastoral Care or Theological Studies). Don’t worry about finishing the application in one session. You can save your work, log out and return to the application at a later time. Your information will be saved.
- Within the online application, you will also be directed to submit:
- Official transcript from the regionally accredited institution where you earned a degree (additional transcripts may be requested as proof of program pre-requisites). As a courtesy, Marylhurst University will pay for and order your transcripts for you. Complete the Transcript Release Form and return to the Office of Admission
- Statement of intent
- Miller Analogies Test scores are required only if you maintain a GPA below 3.0
As part of the application process, you will also be invited for an interview with program faculty. Interviews are scheduled once we receive your completed application.
Official transcripts must be received by Marylhurst University in the original unopened envelope or through approved electronic means from the originating institution. Sounds very legal, but it’s pretty straightforward: contact your previous institutions and request an official transcript to be sent directly to Marylhurst: 17600 Pacific HWY, PO Box 261, Marylhurst, OR 97036-0261. Official transcripts can also be sent via a secure delivery service such as National Student Clearinghouse, eSCRIP-SAFE, or Parchment. Directions on how to do this will also be available within the online admissions application.
We really simplified this process. All you will need are the names and contact information (email) for your recommenders. In the online application, you will be prompted to input their information. This sends your recommenders an email with directions on how to submit their recommendation letter. Easy, right?
Statement of Intent
The Statement of Intent should be two-to-three pages in 12pt. font with your name in the top, right-hand corner of each page. Please address the following questions:
- Why would you like to pursue a Pastoral Care Certificate at Marylhurst University?
- What value will it have in your call to be a professional care provider?
- How will you balance personal, professional, spiritual and academic commitments during your graduate studies program?
To submit your statement of intent, you can upload it inside the online application portal, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it to 503.699.6320.
Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
If you have maintained a GPA lower than 3.0, Marylhurst asks that you complete the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) and earn a minimum score of 398. This is a standardized test that many graduate schools require. Through a series of 100+ questions (computer-based), it assesses your logical and analytical reasoning. This test helps us better understand your potential success as a graduate student. For general information and test locations, visit milleranalogies.com.
Are you applying as an international student? Please review these additional requirements for graduate international student applicants.
Let’s get started.