FAQ – Alumni-Donor

Closure Resources for Alumni and Donors

Marylhurst University announced in May 2018 that the university would close by the end of the year; the last classes were offered summer term 2018. This website is no longer actively maintained; the information presented here is for archival purposes.

Thank you for your support of Marylhurst University. Alumni and donors have carried on the educational spirit of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary for nearly 125 years. Your gifts to Marylhurst and the community live on even as the academic mission of Marylhurst University is fulfilled.

We’ve compiled answers to questions regarding the closure of Marylhurst University. As we get more information, we will continue to update this section of the website.

Alumni and donors are invited to coffee with President Melody Rose on the following dates/times:

June 4, 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., The Old Library*
June 6, 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., The Old Library*

* Please note: Our location has been moved to The Old Library.

Alumni and donors who are not able to attend in person may participate through a conference line. To participate by phone, please dial 1.888.532.0703 and enter pin # 18333.

Contact Information

Effective Dec. 3, 2018, order transcripts through Saint Martin’s University:


Through Dec. 2, 2018:

Office of the Registrar

Questions and Answers for Alumni and Donors

Will my degree from Marylhurst still be considered valuable?

Yes, your degree from Marylhurst is still valuable! It will be recognized by employers and other colleges/universities as a valid degree with full regional accreditation.

What will happen to my academic records after closure?  

Academic records will be preserved and accessible after Marylhurst University closes. Records will be transferred to a custodian.
Update: Effective Dec. 3, 2018, our custodian institution, Saint Martin’s University, will fill academic transcript requests. For details, see: www.stmartin.edu/marylhurst

How do I obtain official transcripts now – before the university’s closure?

The current process to request transcripts has not changed. Alumni can order official transcripts online. Instructions for ordering transcripts are posted to the university website. Learn more.

How do I obtain official transcripts after the university closes?

Official transcripts and other information will also be accessible through a custodian. The university will provide this information as soon as it is available. As a courtesy, current students will be provided with complimentary copies of official transcripts in sealed envelopes once Spring term grades have been recorded.
Update: Effective Dec. 3, 2018, our custodian institution, Saint Martin’s University, will fill academic transcript requests. For details, see: www.stmartin.edu/marylhurst

What will happen to the Marylhurst campus after the university closes?

The Marylhurst campus will revert back to its foundresses, the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM).

Marylhurst has several endowments. What will happen to those funds?

As part of the closure process, Marylhurst University is required to consult the Office of Oregon’s Attorney General. The university will keep donors informed as more information becomes available.

I have made arrangements for an estate gift to Marylhurst University. What can I expect?

Review your intentions as it is unlikely that Marylhurst University will be able to honor them. Please consult with your attorney or financial advisor on how to make alternative arrangements for your philanthropic support. If you have a specific question, please contact the Office of Advancement.

Technology Systems Information

Frequently asked questions about our technology systems at Marylhurst University, including how to get your files and data out of our main academic systems.

How long will the university’s technology systems be accessible?

Academic technology systems will be accessible until September 20, 2018. On September 20, access to our academic systems will be disabled.

How do I get my data out of my Marylhurst Google Account?

Google has a tool called takeout which enables you to download all your data. Please see this help article, and then log into your Marylhurst Google Account and go to: takeout.google.com

If you have your own personal google account, you can do this: https://takeout.google.com/transfer (note that this process does not transfer everything, it’s mainly used for email and google docs, see this FAQ for more info).

Can I set up email forwarding? For how long?

After closure, we will not be able to forward email addresses. After we disable our email system, people emailing @marylhurst.edu addresses will receive a bounceback indicating the email address does not exist. Please update your contacts with a new email address. Until September 20, you can forward your email; here’s how. Also, you may want to turn on a vacation reply notice letting people know about your alternate email account.

Shoen Library Information

I provided a copy of my master’s thesis to the library. Can I have it back?

The university has to do an inventory of assets for legal liability; once that is done we will know what can be done to return theses to their authors. However, the copy you provided to your department may be returned to you now. For your MAIS or Religious Studies thesis, you may arrange a specific time for pick up. Sept. 18 is the last day to place a request; Sept. 27 is the last day to arrange pickup.

What will happen to the library’s digital repositories (Art Gym catalogs, master’s theses)?

We are working with several local colleges that have digital repositories who have offered to take our digital collections and keep them alive on the web.  Stay tuned.

For answers to questions about library hours and services, see the Student FAQ.

Asset Management Information

What is happening with all the things (assets) Marylhurst owns? Can I ask for, or purchase, a specific item?

We are still learning what the university’s rights and responsibilities are in terms of distributing our assets. If there is a specific item you would like to express interest in, please complete this form. We’ll respond to every inquiry when we have an answer. Please be aware this process could take several months. If you would like to be notified of the auction date and details, and you did not already submit a request via the Asset Inquiry Form, please sign up to receive the auction notice here.

I turned in a big project while I was a student. Do you still have it? Can I have it back?

As we wind down operations, we are emptying office and storage areas, and we’re finding student projects (e.g., PLA portfolios, final projects/theses). We’re collecting these in one space on campus. To ask about your project, complete this form on or before Sept. 12. We’ll let you know whether or not we have your project (and if we do, the steps to take to retrieve it). Sorry, we’re unable to mail projects, but you’re welcome to send a Portland-area friend to pick up your work on your behalf.

I’m pretty sure you still have a work of art I created while I was a student. Can I have it?

We have come across student art, mostly in the Mayer Art Building. We’re gathering these items in Clark Commons. On Aug. 28, 29 and 30 from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., we will have this room open so that you may come collect your pieces. Identification of ownership will be on the honor system, as many of these works are not signed. Sorry, we’re not able to look for a specific piece; if you think we have it, you’ll need to come to campus to claim it.