FAQ – Students

Closure Information and Resources for Students

Marylhurst University announced in May 2018 that the university would close by the end of the year; the last classes were offered summer term 2018. This website is no longer actively maintained; the information presented here is for archival purposes.

We’ve compiled answers to questions regarding the closure of Marylhurst University. As we get more information or clarity around certain options, we will continue to update this section of the website. If at any point you have further questions or want to discuss your specific situation, please reach out to the Enrollment and Student Services team. We’re here to help you and support you as best as we can.

One-on-One Advising Sessions

To help our students complete their degrees and achieve their educational and career goals, we’re offering one-on-one advising sessions in which we’ll go over each student’s degree completion plan. These plans could include an accelerated schedule to complete your degree by the end of Summer 2018 and transfer options to complete your program at another institution.

For the first three weeks, our advisers extended their regular advising hours to be available most weekdays from 8:30 a.m. through 7 p.m., and Marylhurst opened up additional advising appointments by bringing in two degree completion coordinators for support.

Individual Information Packets – Mailed to Currently Enrolled Students

We’re hoping to meet with students to provide clear advising, but we understand that some students may not be able to participate. Currently enrolled students have been mailed an information packet that includes forms to request free transcripts and other resources.

Contact Information

Effective Dec. 3, 2018, order transcripts through Saint Martin’s University:


Through Dec. 2, 2018:

Office of the Registrar

Upcoming Events

At the present time, there are no future events. We’ll keep you informed as more are scheduled.


Options by Degrees

art therapy careers

Art (BA)

Last updated June 25, 2018

Art Therapy (MA)

Last updated July 10, 2018

Marylhurst University

Business (BA or BS)

Last updated June 28, 2018

Marylhurst University

Divinity (M.Div.)

Last updated June 21, 2018

Education (M.Ed.) or Teaching (MA)

Last updated June 27, 2018

Marylhurst University

English Literature & Writing (BA)

Last updated June 28, 2018

food systems and society master's degree marylhurst

Food Systems & Society (MS)

Updated July 13, 2018

Interdisciplinary Studies (BA)

Last updated June 28, 2018

Marylhurst University

Interdisciplinary Studies (MA)

Last updated June 27, 2018

Liberal Studies (BA)

Last updated June 27, 2018

Marylhurst University

MBA (online)

Last updated July 27, 2018

Marylhurst University

MBA (on-ground)

Last updated June 26, 2018

Marylhurst University

Music (BA)

Last updated June 22, 2018

Music Therapy (BMT)

Last updated June 27, 2018

Psychology (BA)

Last updated June 28, 2018

Questions and Answers Regarding Closure

Does closure mean I won’t be able to complete my degree at Marylhurst?

Students who are able to complete all degree requirements by the end of Summer 2018 should be eligible to complete their degree at Marylhurst. Students who will not be completed by then will be referred to a partner institution for completion.

Each student’s situation is unique and requires thoughtful consideration. Students are encouraged to contact their academic advisors to schedule an appointment to discuss their options.

Where can I complete my degree?

Each situation is unique, and our advising team is available to ensure your transition is supported. We are creating partnerships with local institutions to provide options for impacted students.

What happens to the credits I have taken at Marylhurst?

All credits earned at Marylhurst are valid even after the University has closed. They are considered regionally accredited, and will be considered for transfer by any other regionally accredited institution.

Will other universities accept Marylhurst credits?

The institution you transfer to will determine which Marylhurst credits are accepted. Through transfer agreements with other universities, Marylhurst University will do everything possible to help our students make a smooth transition and complete their degrees.

Are my credits considered regionally accredited, even if the university is closed?


Will my degree from Marylhurst still be considered valuable?

Yes, your degree from Marylhurst is still valuable! It will be recognized by employers and other colleges/universities as a valid degree with full regional accreditation.

What will happen to my academic records after closure?  

Academic records will be preserved and accessible after Marylhurst University closes. Records will be transferred to a custodian.
Update: Effective Dec. 3, 2018, our custodian institution, Saint Martin’s University, will fill academic transcript requests. For details, see: www.stmartin.edu/marylhurst

How do I obtain official transcripts now – before the university’s closure?

The current process to request transcripts has not changed. Students and alumni can order official transcripts online. Instructions for ordering transcripts are posted to the university website. Currently enrolled students will additionally be provided with FREE official transcripts to aid in the transfer process. In the packet sent to currently enrolled students in May 2018, the university included a Transcript Request and Voucher form, pre-filled out with your information. You may request up to three complimentary copies using this form, which must be redeemed no later than September 23, 2018.

How do I obtain official transcripts after the university closes?

Official transcripts and other information will also be accessible through a custodian. The university will provide this information as soon as it is available. As a courtesy, current students will be provided with complimentary copies of official transcripts in sealed envelopes once Spring term grades have been recorded. Official transcripts issued by custodians after a university’s closure are accepted as “official.”
Update: Effective Dec. 3, 2018, our custodian institution, Saint Martin’s University, will fill academic transcript requests. For details, see: www.stmartin.edu/marylhurst

Will the university still hold commencement ceremonies for those students finishing prior to formal closure?

June 2018 commencement activities will continue as planned. Students who have completed all degree requirements and have officially graduated in Fall 2017 and Winter 2018, as well as students who are planning on completing all remaining degree requirements in Spring 2018 and Summer 2018 are eligible to participate in commencement activities. Learn more about commencement and what you need to do to participate.

What if I need to take time off from my studies, can I come back at a later date and still complete my degree even if the university is closing?

Summer 2018 will be our final term of academic instruction at Marylhurst. Your credits earned at MU are valid to transfer to another institution, and you will be able to complete your degree elsewhere when you are ready to resume your studies.

I have a scholarship. Will I still continue to have that scholarship as I complete my degree at MU? What if I transfer elsewhere?

Yes, your scholarship will still be valid at Marylhurst through Summer 2018. Each student has a unique situation and the university will be providing financial and academic counseling to all impacted students on an individual basis.

Will student services be available to me, such as academic advising or career services?

The university is working hard to support all impacted students. Academic advising, career services, and financial counseling will be staffed through Summer term 2018 to ensure that you have time to make all necessary arrangements.

What happens to coursework that I have Incomplete (I) or In Progress (IP) grades in?

Students need to complete all requirements by the end of Summer term 2018. All outstanding assignments need to be submitted to your instructor by August 30th, 2018, so a final grade can be transcripted. Students who are not able to complete by that deadline have the option to petition for a late withdrawal/refund. Academic advising can assist with determining the best course of action for your particular situation. Please see the 2017-18 Marylhurst University Catalog Addendum for updated processes and deadlines.

I have disability accommodations at Marylhurst. Do I have to go through the same application process when I transfer to another institution?

Marylhurst will provide a letter summarizing your accommodations for you to share with other institutions. Because each institution has different processes in place, it will be up to that institution to guide you on specifics.

Admission deadlines at many schools have passed for the 2018-19 academic year. Did I miss the window to enroll somewhere else this fall?

No — many schools are still accepting applications, and we are creating partnerships with several local institutions who will make special accommodations for impacted Marylhurst students. Your academic advisor can assist you in finding the best option.

If I finish my degree after Summer 2018, what will my diploma say? Who will my degree be from?

In this scenario, it is likely that your degree will be awarded by the institution where you have completed your requirements and they will issue your diploma.

What will happen to the Marylhurst campus after the university closes?

The Marylhurst campus will revert back to its foundresses, the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM).

What is Marylhurst University required to do to help students complete their programs? What is its “teach-out plan”?

Marylhurst is providing courses this summer for students who are able to graduate under that timeline. We are not able financially to provide coursework at Marylhurst University beyond that. We are required to have a “teach-out plan” by our accrediting body, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), that includes a description of what we are doing to help students finish their programs. We have been working with NWCCU to ensure that we have a satisfactory teach-out plan.

Marylhurst University’s “teach-out plan” has three components and has been verified as appropriate by NWCCU.

1. Summer Term: Marylhurst will remain open to help students make progress towards completion of, or to complete, their programs of study. Our analysis shows that between 80 and 125 students can complete their degrees during summer term. If at all possible, Marylhurst will scholarship students for these classes.

2. Teach-Out Agreements: These are “written agreements between institutions that are accredited or pre-accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency…” These agreements might include an agreement to accept a cohort of students or the transfer of an entire program provided that the accepting institution can meet their governing and accreditation bodies’ requirements.

3. Student Transfers: Students are able to transfer to complete their degrees at the institution of their choice. We are doing everything we can to help facilitate this and make the process easy for our students to navigate.

>> View Marylhurst University’s Approved Teach-Out Plan
>> View the approval letter from NWCCU

Federal Student Loan Information

I have federal student loans and my school is closing. What happens next?

There are many issues involving student loans if a student’s school closes before they complete their degree. First it is important to know about all of your student loans, including your loan debt, which schools the loans were borrowed from, and who your current loan servicer is (the agency that is responsible for collecting payments on your loans.

You can find all your federal student loan information by accessing the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at www.nslds.ed.gov. You can access the site using your FSA User ID and qualifying personal identification information.

Who is my loan servicer? How do I find that out?

When you log into NSLDS, you will see a list of every federal loan you have received. Each loan will be assigned to a loan servicer. Usually they try to keep all of your loans with one servicer. If you click on the “servicer” link, the website will bring up the contact information for that servicer.

Where can I find more information on the terms of my loans and repayment options?

Go to the federal student loans website at:

At this site, you can complete “loan exit counseling” and view “repayment calculators”

Can I transfer my financial aid from the closed school to another school?

No, financial aid does not transfer from one school to another. However, you can apply for financial aid at another school by adding the new school to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, and that school can determine what aid you will qualify for at their school.

If my school closes do I have to repay the loans I borrowed while at that school?

It depends. There are many different criteria including if you transfer credits to another school to complete your degree, and if you were enrolled at the closed school within 120 days of its closure. Here is a link to the federal student aid site with all sorts of good information for students. It answers many different questions a student may have:

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Technology Systems Information

Frequently asked questions about our technology systems at Marylhurst University, including how to get your files and data out of our main academic systems.

How long will the university’s technology systems be accessible?

Academic technology systems will be accessible until September 20, 2018. On September 20, access to our academic systems will be disabled.

How do I get my data out of my Marylhurst Google Account?

Google has a tool called takeout which enables you to download all your data. Please see this help article, and then log into your Marylhurst Google Account and go to: takeout.google.com

If you have your own personal google account, you can do this: https://takeout.google.com/transfer (note that this process does not transfer everything, it’s mainly used for email and google docs, see this FAQ for more info).

Can I set up email forwarding? For how long?

After closure, we will not be able to forward email addresses. After we disable our email system, people emailing @marylhurst.edu addresses will receive a bounceback indicating the email address does not exist. Please update your contacts with a new email address. Until September 20, you can forward your email; here’s how. Also, you may want to turn on a vacation reply notice letting people know about your alternate email account.

Can I access past assignments in Canvas? For how long?

Students have access to all past and present courses. After a course ends, you may only access the course in read-only format, but that does allow you to download any assignments you might have turned in.

Canvas provides many options for downloading/exporting your files and courses. Here is some information to get you started, but please see the Canvas guides or call Canvas support for additional information and assistance. When you log into Canvas, use the help button at the bottom of the left navigation bar.

If you want to download all assignments in all your courses, see this Canvas help doc.

If you want to download a single assignment, see this Canvas help doc.

If you want to download a folder in a zipped format (all at once), see this Canvas help doc.

My question about technology systems is not answered here. Can I ask someone?

Yes, while the university is open, you can contact helpdesk@marylhurst.edu with your questions.

Student Veterans Information

Information for Marylhurst student veterans (and dependents) from Veteran Services:

If you are continuing to take credits through summer term (at any school):

Make sure you are prepared to make your housing payments with the appropriate rate of credit pursuit: 1/2 time= 1/2 of the BAH, paid at the nearest 10% level, etc. If you plan on taking online classes, remember that you need at least one “brick and mortar” class to be eligible for full BAH. Otherwise, full-online programs will only provide $840.50/month for housing.

If you’re applying to a different school:

  • Update your FAFSA, and include the new school in the college section.
  • Contact the school’s certifying official.
  • Individuals using the Post-9/11 or Montgomery G.I. Bill: Fill out a VA Form 22-1995, which is the “Request for change of program or place of training” form.
  • Individuals receiving benefits under the Dependents Educational Assistance Program will need to submit VA Form 22-5495.
  • If the new school you are applying to is more expensive than Marylhurst, be aware that the Yellow Ribbon Program can help save a substantial amount. Check with the certifying official about this program, and any caps on the number of people that are eligible, as well as the amount of assistance provided. » More info on benefits.va.gov
  • If you are utilizing VocRehab benefits, then you need to contact your case manager directly to discuss your academic plan.

There is also an option that authorizes the VA to restore benefits and provide relief to Veterans affected by school closures and program disapproval. Beneficiaries will qualify for the Regular Restoration of Entitlement if:

  • VA finds that the beneficiary was unable to complete their program of study due to the school closing; or
  • There is a change in law or VA interpretation that results in the disapproval of the program or school, and
  • The beneficiary did not receive credit or lost training time toward the completion of their program of education

We advise anyone interested in exploring this option to read the stipulations carefully, such as the following:

With limited exception, the Department of Veterans Affairs can restore entitlement only for the period of enrollment in which you did not receive credit (or in which you lost training time). Generally this means that entitlement can only be restored for the single term you were enrolled in when your school closed or lost its approval to receive VA benefits. ​​

This information comes directly from the VA Form 22-0989, Restoration of Entitlement for VA Education Benefits. Visit this page on benefits.va.gov for more information on this option.

Shoen Library Information

Will the library be open this summer?

Yes, we will be open as long as classes are being taught.

What hours will the library be open this summer?

Monday to Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.., and Saturdays 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Will we be able to check out books from Shoen and Summit?

Shoen Library books will be available for checkout throughout the summer and all books will be due back on August 17, 2018 to give us time to clean up patron accounts and get the library ready to close. Summit borrowing will be available until July 9 to give you time to order books you may need for summer classes. All books will be due back on August 17, 2018.

Will I have remote access to the electronic resources during summer term?

Yes, you will have remote access to our databases over the summer, including EBSCO, and e-articles and e-books via the online catalog and the databases.

What about interlibrary loan services?

ILL services for articles will be available through Aug. 27. Continue to request via Ebsco or the ILL form.

I provided a copy of my master’s thesis to the library. Can I have it back?

The university has to do an inventory of assets for legal liability; once that is done we will know what can be done to return theses to their authors. However, the copy you provided to your department may be returned to you now. For your MAIS or Religious Studies thesis, you may arrange a specific time for pick up. Sept. 18 is the last day to place a request; Sept. 27 is the last day to arrange pickup.

What will happen to the library’s digital repositories (Art Gym catalogs, master’s theses)?

We are working with several local colleges that have digital repositories who have offered to take our digital collections and keep them alive on the web.  Stay tuned.

Asset Management Information

What is happening with all the things (assets) Marylhurst owns? Can I ask for, or purchase, a specific item?

We are still learning what the university’s rights and responsibilities are in terms of distributing our assets. If there is a specific item you would like to express interest in, please complete this form. We’ll respond to every inquiry when we have an answer. Please be aware this process could take several months. If you would like to be notified of the auction date and details, and you did not already submit a request via the Asset Inquiry Form, please sign up to receive the auction notice here.

I turned in a big project while I was a student. Do you still have it? Can I have it back?

As we wind down operations, we are emptying office and storage areas, and we’re finding student projects (e.g., PLA portfolios, final projects/theses). We’re collecting these in one space on campus. To ask about your project, complete this form on or before Sept. 12. We’ll let you know whether or not we have your project (and if we do, the steps to take to retrieve it). Sorry, we’re unable to mail projects, but you’re welcome to send a Portland-area friend to pick up your work on your behalf.

I’m pretty sure you still have a work of art I created while I was a student. Can I have it?

We have come across student art, mostly in the Mayer Art Building. We’re gathering these items in Clark Commons. On Aug. 28, 29 and 30 from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m., we will have this room open so that you may come collect your pieces. Identification of ownership will be on the honor system, as many of these works are not signed. Sorry, we’re not able to look for a specific piece; if you think we have it, you’ll need to come to campus to claim it.

Informational Events – Past

Student Q & A Forum – May 22 & 23
Marylhurst University

Students are invited to an open Q & A forum with President Melody Rose and representatives from the Marylhurst Board of Trustees on the following dates and times:

May 22, 2018 | 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. | The Old Library

May 23, 2018 | 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. |  Hawthorn Room

Students who are not able to attend in person may participate through a conference line. To participate by phone, please dial 1.888.532.0703 and enter pin # 18333.

Transfer Information Session – May 24 | 4 – 7 p.m.
Clark Commons, Marylhurst University

Several local universities will be on-site at Marylhurst to discuss transfer options. You are encouraged to bring your official transcripts for review with university representatives. The following institutions will be in attendance and this list is expected to grow:

Click on the linked schools for information specific to Marylhurst transfer students.

California Institute of Integral Studies (online and on-ground)
Concordia University

Corban University
Eastern Oregon University

George Fox University
Lewis & Clark College
Linfield College
Multnomah University
Northwest Christian University
Oregon College of Art and Craft
Oregon Health & Science University
Oregon Institute of Technology
Oregon State University: Online & Portland hybrid degrees | College of Business
Pacific Northwest College of Art
Pacific University

Portland State University | PSU School of Business: MBA | PSU Graduate Studies
Prescott College
Southern Oregon University
St. Martin’s University

University of Oregon
Warner Pacific University
Western Oregon University
Willamette University

VA Benefits Info Session
Wednesday, June 6
8:30 to 11:30 a.m.,
Student Lounge (BPJ main floor)

We are having a guest from the VA education department come visit the campus: Kate Nicholson. She will be available in the student lounge, though we have private offices available for anyone who would prefer a confidential conversation. Kate will provide general information on VA education; she may need to direct you to another resource for answers to more specific questions. If you have a current COE letter from the VA, it may help to bring that with you.

Drop-in Transfer Info Sessions
starting June 5, 2018

Representatives from the following schools will be at Marylhurst University to answer your questions in person. Drop by anytime during these sessions.

We recommend that you bring: 1) current advising worksheet, 2) unofficial Marylhurst transcript, and 3) summary of any credits transferred into, and accepted by, Marylhurst.

All Programs (Graduate / Undergraduate)
Tuesday, June 5, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. | Eastern Oregon University (online, Portland campus)
Wednesday,  June 6, 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. | Warner Pacific University
Thursday, June 7, 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. | George Fox University
Friday, June 8 at 12:00 noon | Prescott College in BPJ 204

Tuesday, June 12, 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. | Concordia University
Wednesday, June 13, 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. | Warner Pacific University
Thursday, June 14, 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. | George Fox University

Tuesday, June 19, 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. | Portland State University
Wednesday, June 20, 3:00 to 6:00 p.m. | Warner Pacific University
Thursday, June 21, 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. | Portland State University

The above sessions will be held in Belluschi Pavilion unless noted otherwise.

Program Specific Sessions

Pacific University – Music Therapy
Friday, June 8, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. in The Old Library

University of San Diego – MAT/M.Ed. Online
Tuesday. June 12, 3:00 to 7:00 p.m. in BP John Administration Building, Room #203

Portland State University | BUSINESS
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 | 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Transfer Open House at Portland State University | ALL PROGRAMS
June 26, 2018 | 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.