Veteran Services

Veteran Services at Marylhurst

Military Friendly Schools 2018Marylhurst University is proud to support our veterans. We thank you for your service to our country and are pleased to welcome you as a valued member of our learning community.

From our Prior Learning Assessment program which enables students to earn credit for college-level learning done through work, life or military experience, to our acceptance of CLEP, DANTES and ACE approved credits, you can be sure that your previous learning will not go unrecognized.

We also have a Military Service Scholarship – more details below. Don’t forget you may be entitled to educational benefits from the Veterans Administration. Marylhurst University is state-approved to train veterans; the majority of our programs are approved by the VA.

Getting Started at Marylhurst

1. Know what VA benefits you are eligible for and which program you will be using.

If you are unsure about which program you are eligible for, please contact a Veteran’s Benefit Counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1.888.442.4551).

VA education programs coordinated through Marylhurst’s Office of Financial Aid include:
Montgomery GI Bill/Active Duty (Chapter 30)
Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
Montgomery GI Bill/Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP Chapter 1607)

VA education programs not coordinated through the financial aid office:
Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

2. Apply for admission to your degree program at Marylhurst University.

Admission to a certificate or degree program is required to be eligible for benefits. There may be additional requirements to complete your admission depending on your program of study and your application classification.

Once you start the application process, you’ll be assigned an admissions counselor who will help you every step of the way. Contact the Office of Admissions at 503.699.6268 or to talk with your counselor at any time.

3. Apply for VA benefits.

4. If eligible, apply for Marylhurst’s scholarship by submitting the Military Service Scholarship Application to the financial aid office.

Marylhurst offers a Military Service Scholarship to students who are:

  • Currently serving on active duty, or
  • Have been honorably discharged from active duty in any branch of the United States Armed Forces, or
  • National Guard or Reserve personnel who have been federally mobilized for more than 30 days for purposes other than training.

Benefits for Spouses & Dependents

In addition to eligible veterans, spouses and dependents of disabled and fallen service members may be eligible for education benefits. View information about applying for benefits for military spouses and dependents on our Military Benefits page.

Maintaining Benefit Eligibility

It’s important to remember that you must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in your major to receive VA educational benefits. Also, the VA does not pay for courses taken as audits or courses with W, I, or NP grades. Avoid interruption of your VA benefits — seek help from our Advising Center before you get into this situation!

Disability Services

We’re committed to ensuring that all students have equal access to our academic programs. Students with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. We encourage you to connect with the Marylhurst’s Disability Services Office to request accommodations.

Phone: 503.699.6267

More Resources for Veterans

Veteran Services Coordinator

The Marylhurst Advising Center has a School Certifying Official who can help you get your veterans’ education benefits application process started and verify your enrollment status with the Department of Veterans Affairs each term. You can contact Marylhurst’s Veterans Services at 503.534.4081 or

Return to Main “Student Services” Page

Or, explore further into the Student Services section