Hospitality Management Advisory Council
To provide industry expertise and a strong regional connection to hospitality management, Marylhurst University’s program is guided by the Hospitality Management Advisory Council. This group is comprised of representatives of the diverse businesses, government associations and professional organizations of the hospitality industry in the NW. This group was purposefully formed to keep the program apprised of the latest developments and enhancements in hospitality instruction.
Hospitality Management Advisory Council Members
- Chris Bebo – Regional Manager, Provenance Hotel Management
- Jason Brandt – CEO, Oregon Restaurant and Lodging Association
- Danielle Cowan – Executive Director, Clackamas County Tourism and Cultural Affairs
- Scott Cruickshank – General Manager, Metro Visitor Venues: Oregon Convention Center, Portland Expo Center, P’5 Centers for the Arts, Oregon Zoo
- Todd Davidson – Chief Executive Officer, Travel Oregon
- John Erickson – Program Director, Hospitality Management, Marylhurst University
- Jan Freitag – Senior Vice President of Strategic Development, Smith Travel Research
- Gene Fritz – CEO, CulinaryEd Consulting
- Chris Jaworski – Consultant in Hospitality, Tourism, Culinary Planning and Development
- Jeff Miller – President, Travel Portland
- Wendy Popkin – Executive Director, Oregon Restaurant & Lodging Association Education Foundation
- Kenneth Puttman – Managing Director/CFO, Club Managers of Oregon
- Mark Swenson – Director of Purchasing Initiatives, Bon Appetit Management Company
- Scott Youngblood – General Manager, Embassy Suites Washington Square and Commissioner, Oregon Tourism Commission
Marylhurst’s Program Director – Hospitality Management
The development of the hospitality management program at Marylhurst was done by a hospitality industry leader: John Erickson. He initially came to Marylhurst through Social Venture Partners Portland, an organization that promotes business development in nonprofit and educational organizations. His background in Hospitality Management spans a distinguished 30-year career in hotels, resorts, restaurants and clubs all over the United States and abroad. His positions have included Director of Regional Operations at KemperSports, Chief Executive Officer for Grand Tradition Hotels and Resorts, Project General Manager at Seven Canyons Resort, and, most recently, General Manager of The Resort at The Mountain.
Erickson is a well-respected leader in the industry with expertise in finance, marketing, operations, human resources, change management and strategic planning. He currently serves on several hospitality industry association boards and as a trustee at Mary’s Woods Retirement Community.